In each Backstage Tour 2020 city, we’ll be running a full investment process to select 1 company to receive a minimum $25k investment and join our portfolio. In each city, 5 companies will be selected to pitch live during the main evening event, and we’ll announce our investment selection and welcome 1 new company as a Backstage Headliner.
See cities, dates, and more about Tour 2020.
- Complete the application form
- Submission deadline: March 31 at 11:59pm EST
- Apply to only 1 city where your company is located – we are looking to showcase and invest in companies who are local to the Tour city
- You will be notified by the end of April whether or not you are selected as a finalist
- If selected as a finalist in your city, you (or a member of your team) will pitch to the live audience and a panel of judges
- Finalists will present a 3-5min pitch with a short Q&A
- The selected company will receive $25,000 in investment from Backstage Capital via a SAFE note (more information will be available for the selected finalists)
- At least 1 founder must identify as a woman, person of color, or LGBTQ+
- At least 1 founder must be local to the Tour 2020 city (or a surrounding area)
- Current Backstage portfolio companies are not eligible for selection
Can I apply to more than 1 city?
No. Founders must apply to the 1 city that their company is local to. Applications to multiple cities will be disqualified.
We work remotely or have founders living in more than 1 city. Where should I apply?
You can apply to any Tour 2020 city (or close surrounding area) where at least 1 founder is located.
What types of companies do you invest in?
We do not focus on a particular industry or type of business. Check out our portfolio to see companies in which we have invested.
What stage company is welcome to apply?
We welcome any stage company to apply. If you believe that the investment is a good fit for where you are with your business, then we encourage you to apply.
Can I apply if I’m a solo founder and the company is just made up of me?
Yes! Solo founders are welcome. We’ve funded solo founders in the past.
What is the timeline for applicants?
Applications are open until March 31. Finalists will be notified before Backstage Tour kicks off in May.
Can I save my application, anywhere?
No, you cannot save the application once you begin completing the form. You can make a copy of this Google doc to prepare your responses ahead of time.
What makes a strong application?
- Clarity. We should be able to clearly walk away with what your business is, what problem you are solving, and why yours is the right solution.
- Intention. Give a solid description of your team and why you are working on your business.
- Traction. Backstage Headliners are scrappy, gritty, and get a lot done with a little. We’d like to see what you’ve done so far.
Are the optional items on the application really optional?
All optional fields are clearly marked, including the pitch deck and founder video fields. These are optional and not a requirement for completing the application. However, this additional info gives us an opportunity to get to know you and your company a bit better, so we appreciate this in the application process.
Ready to Apply?
We can’t wait to check out your application!